to protect the Governments interests. File a copy of the speedletter or message in the members service record, with the copy of the document. If an improper or erroneous document is submitted to NAVFINCEN, the disbursing office will request that the information be removed from the military members pay account and file a copy of the speedletter or message request in the retained transmittal file with the copy of the document.
It is necessary to distinguish between improper and incorrect documents. Improper documents are those documents that should never have been submitted in the first place. Incorrect documents should be corrected and included in the military members pay account. The proper procedure to correct a document previously submitted is to retype it with the correct information, annotate it as a correct copy, and resubmit it.
If a scannable document is found in the service record of a member reporting aboard, verify that it is appropriate; if it is correct, forward the original to NMPC or the disbursing office in your daily transmittal. Mail the suspense copy to the preparing activity, distribute any other designated copies, and retain a reproduced copy in your suspense file.
1. SECNAVINST 5215.1 series, Navy Directives Issuance System
2. SECNAVINST 5216.5 series, Department of the Navy Correspondence Manual
3. SECNAVINST 5210.11 series, Department of the Navy Standard Subject Identification Codes
4. SECNAVINST 5212.5, Disposal of Navy and Marine Corps Records
5. NAVMED P-117, Manual of the Medical Department
6. NAVSO P-3050, Navy Pay and Personnel Procedures Manual (PAYPERSMAN), appendix E, chapter 4, and part 9
7. BUMEDINST 6300.1 series, Medical Services and Outpatient Reporting System