Figure 13-12.Plastic solution bag and sterile disposable
Figure 13-13.Holding the solution bag.
hold the medication valve under your thumb, so that the
medication valve does not come into contact with the
4. Remove the cover from the piercing device.
Insert the piercing device into the solution valve on the
5. Invert the solution bag and hang it on a rack at
least 30 inches above the casualtys head.
6. Remove the airway valve at the top of the drip
chamber on the infusion set.
7. Press and release the sides of the drip chamber.
This will pump the solution into the chamber. Continue
until the chamber is one-half full.
8. Grasp the end of the needle cover and uncover
Do not touch the needle or the bottom lip of
the needle cover.
anything wrong with the solution or the bag, inform the
medical officer. Get a new bag and discard the old one.
3. Hold the medication valve under your thumb
as shown in figure 13-13. Remove the cover from the
solution valve. Make sure not to touch the end of the
solution valve, as this will contaminate it. Continue to
9. Hold the needle so the point is down, and then
open the roller clamp. Allow the air solution to flow
through the tubing until the tubing is filled and all air
bubbles are expelled.
10. Close the roller clamp, and then put the cover
back on the needle.