Each mandatory rate training manual may be completed by:
1. Passing the nonresident career course (NRCC) based on the manual
2. Passing locally prepared tests based on the information given in the rate training manual
3. In some cases, satisfactory completion of an appropriate Navy school
It is important to note that all references, mandatory or recommended, listed in NAVEDTRA 10052 may be used as source material by the writers of the examinations for advancement in rating.
Navy training courses are written for the specific purpose of helping personnel prepare for advancement. Some courses are general in nature and are intended for use by more than one rating; others (such as this one) apply to the particular rating.
Navy training courses are revised from time to time to bring them up to date. The revision is identified by a letter following the NAVEDTRA number. You can tell whether a Navy training course is the latest edition by checking the NAVEDTRA number in the most recent edition of the List of Training Manuals and Correspondence Courses, NAVEDTRA 10061.
There are Navy training courses that are prepared only to present information on the military standards for advancement to HM1 or HMC. These courses are as follows:
1. Basic Military Requirements, NAVEDTRA 10054
2. Military Requirements for Petty Officer Third Class, NAVEDTRA 10044
3. Military Requirements for Petty Officer Second Class, NAVEDTRA 10045
4. Military Requirements for Petty Officer First Class, NAVEDTRA 10046
5. Military Requirements for Chief Petty Officer, NAVEDTRA 10047
Each of the military requirement courses is mandatory at the indicated rate levels. In addition to giving information on the military standards, these five books give information on the enlisted rating structure; how to supervise, train, and lead other men; and how to meet your increasing responsibilities as you advance in rating.
Additional NMPC publications that you may find useful in connection with your responsibilities for leadership, supervision, and training include:
1. Manual for Navy Instructors, NAVEDTRA 16103
2. Navy Training Bulletin, NAVEDTRA 14900
3. Quarterly Training Information Procedures (TIPS)
4. Manual of Advancement, BUPERSINST 1430.16B
5. Naval Military Personnel Manual, NAVPERS 15560
6. Correspondence Manual, SECNAVINST 5216.5C
7. Department of the Navy Information Security Program Regulation, OPNAVINST 5510.1 series, and
8. Naval Telecommunications Procedures/ Telecommunications Users Manual, NTP3
Training films available to Navy personnel are a valuable source of supplementary information on many technical subjects. Films and videotapes that may be of interest are listed in the Department of the Navy Catalog of Audiovisual Production Products, OPNAVINST 3157.1, and the Naval School of Health Sciences Medical Film Catalog, 1974 (reprinted in 1981 with 1982 addendum).